Sunday, August 21, 2011

l'époque médiévale

Sebastien had told me several weeks before my arrival that there would be something exciting in Tarascon. All he would say was that I would "feel like a child at Disney world." Well, that pretty much sums up the experience. For the past three days we have been frequenting the medieval times festival in Tarascon, just on the other side of the Rhone. The festival itself took place along the base of le château de Tarascon and throughout the surrounding streets, giving it an authentic feel. To bring things to life, there were hundreds of participants all dressing the part and playing various roles. Among them were the chevaliers de roi René who put up a good fight for the audience. The grand finally featured the trials of Jeanne d'Arc accompanied by a light show and fireworks. Here are a few photos that I took. Unfortunately, I ran into trouble with the videos that I shot. Maybe I'll be able to fix them later. For now, enjoy.

The Rhone
Le Château de Tarascon
Again, but from the opposite side.

From the courtyard looking up. 
La Tarasque.

There were several games for the children.
This one here required the child to shoot a ballista in order to kill a knight.
The Royal Guard


A warbird and battle horse demonstration. 
A knight of king René
Joan of Arc leaves the castle in parade.

The trials of Joan of Arc and light display.

Also, feel free to comment and leave any questions that you would like to have answered. It's difficult for me to gauge what everyone may find interesting. Also, I'm trying to keep photos to a minimum because I don't want to be excessive, but if you would like more, I will kindly oblige you.... and please forgive my awesome grammar and sentence structures. It's quite a headache working with two languages. I should have the swing of things pretty soon here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment